Citizenship and Immigration - The Essentials

As the diversity of the military changes, an increasing number of active-duty service members must address immigration legal matters within their immediate families. You may not be aware that lawful permanent residents may apply for naturalization based on their military service. Military OneSource is your guide for resources to assist with matters such as immigration, citizenship, and the naturalization process, as well as language interpretation and document translations.

Take advantage of these services:

American Immigration Lawyers Association Military Assistance Program

The American Immigration Lawyers Association Military Assistance Program provides free immigration legal services to service members and their family members whose legal matters may be complex and require the knowledge of experienced immigration attorneys.

Relevant Resources:

Language interpretation and document translation services

Military OneSource provides real-time language interpretation for military families, as well as free translation of legal documents such as leases, marriage licenses, adoption paperwork and school transcripts.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Legal assistance office

Your legal assistance office provides support and referrals for immigration, and citizenship and naturalization matters, such as alien registration, re-entry permits, passports, naturalization of a surviving spouse and citizenship of children born abroad to U.S. military parents.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

USCIS Contacts and Military Help Line

Support is available to service members and their families who have questions about applying for citizenship:

  • Call the USCIS toll-free Military Help Line: 877-247-4645, TTY (800) 877-8339, or see the Military Help Line webpage. USCIS representatives are available to answer calls Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Central), excluding federal holidays. Members of the U.S. armed forces and their families stationed in the U.S. or overseas may access the help line using the toll-free number through their base telephone operator or using Defense Switched Network (DSN).
  • For service members, designated spouses, or children stationed in Asia- Pacific who have pending applications with USCIS, a specific e-mail has been provided for inquiries:
  • Contact Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 for help with immigration, citizenship and the naturalization process. Overseas? See OCONUS calling options.

Important US naturalization information and resources for service members